These are genital piercings with a special placement made in such a way that part of the piercing hole (or passage) goes through the urethra. This is what “transurethral” means: “through the urethra”.
While the name “transurethral” may sound unusual, it is important to know that some of the most popular genital piercings are, in fact, transurethral. For example, Prince Albert (PA) piercing, the most common genital piercing in the world, is transurethral piercing.
Advantages of Transurethral Piercings
While it may seem extreme to do a piercing through the urethra, there are actually some advantages to these piercings. It is therefore not surprising to learn that many genital piercings, particularly male genital piercings, are, in fact, transurethral piercings.
The three main advantages to transurethral piercings are:
- Performing a piercing through urethra can actually help with healing and safety. The urine can help a lot with cleaning of the piercing, so this is why it’s useful to perform a piercing through the urethra.
- Easier piercing procedure. Since the urethra is a natural passage in the body, performing a piercing through it means less tissue to be actually pierced. It makes for a less painful and easier piercing experience.
- Enhanced sexual pleasure. Many people report that transurethral piercings and the jewelry help increasing sexual pleasure. Keep in mind that urethra is very sensitive and that its stimulation can be very arousing. Therefore, it is not surprising that transurethral piercings are often considered functional piercings, that is, they can increase sexual pleasure and make the experience more arousing.
Please note that while many transurethral piercings come with these advantages not all will provide the benefits. Some benefits also depend on the person. For example, one person might find a transurethral piercing arousing while the other person might not notice any increase in sexual pleasure. Keep in mind that these things are always individual.
Also, another advantage to transurethral piercings is that it can be used in a combination with some urethral toys. For example, Prince’s Wands toys typically use the hole made for a transurethral piercing. This is a great way to keep the urethral toy securely inside while you enjoy some arousing urethral play.
Types of Transurethral Piercings
There are many different types of transurethral piercings. Most of them are done on men, which is not surprising, since men have a longer and wider urethra.
The most popular transurethral piercings are:
- Prince Albert (PA) Piercing
- Reverse Prince Albert Piercing (Reverse PA)
- Apadravya Piercing
- Ampallang Piercing
- Deep Prince Albert Piercing (Deep PA)
- Dolphin Piercing
Keep in mind that some of these piercings are always transurethral, such as PA piercing, while some of these piercing types have special placements that do not go through the urethra. For example, Ampallang and Apadravya piercings are not always done through the urethra.
Women have a much shorter urethra and are at more risk of urinary tract infections. For these reasons, transurethral piercings for women are rare. The only relatively popular transurethral piercing type for women is Princess Albertina. This is a female genital piercing made as an equivalent to male Prince Albert piercing.
Steve “Holes” Armstong is a staff writer and researcher for TheChainGang. He is a long-term piercing enthusiast who is never tired of discovering new body modifications. In addition to this, he also likes to spend his time experimenting with new ways to find pleasure, which makes him a perfect person to discuss unusual adult toys. He says: “I love piercings and I can’t get enough of them. There is something special about body modifications and altering your looks… Even if it’s just below the belt! I am happy to share my knowledge of extreme piercings and lesser-known sex toys, made for both men and women”. In addition to writing, Steve is also a researcher, always on a lookout for new and exciting things.