Congratulations! You decided to get a new piercing and you have a scheduled appointment in the near future. Here are some things you need to remember before getting your new piercing, and also some things to keep in mind during your visit to a piercing studio:
- Get plenty of sleep the night before. You may be excited or a little nervous, but this is definitely not a time for partying. You will benefit from a good night sleep before the piercing day.
- Eat well and drink plenty of water the day before the procedure. It’s best not to be overwhelmed on the day of piercing itself, so try not to stuff yourself with food right before your appointment.
- On the other hand, you should not be hungry, either. Eat a balanced meal and don’t forget to drink plenty of water!
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and drugs before your piercing. The night before your procedure is a night to take some rest. Avoid getting intoxicated. Keep in mind that alcohol makes your blood thin, which is not a good thing.
- Same goes for the day of the piercing. Absolutely not getting intoxicated or under influence of anything on the day of the piercing! A professional piercer will refuse to pierce you while you’re in this condition and chances are that you will be asked to leave anyway. Save yourself from the embarrassment and forget about intoxicating substances.
- Do not get pierced if you are sick or getting sick. You should wait until you are completely healthy to get pierced. Getting pierced while sick will prolong the healing time. Not to mention that you will spread germs all around the studio, which is a pretty bad thing to do.
- If you have a chronic illness or a condition you cannot simply get rid of, consult your doctor. Tell them about your wish to get pierced and ask them about potential health concerns. In many cases, a chronic illness is not a definitive obstacle to getting pierced, but you need to consult your doctor and ask for advice. In some cases, you will need to give your doctor a special form to sign so piercers can accept your request to go through the procedure. This form should clearly state your doctor’s opinion that it’s safe for you to get pierced.
How to Behave
- Don’t wear heavy makeup on the body part you wish to get pierced. The area has to be cleaned before the procedure, so makeup has to go anyway. Also, do not apply makeup over your new piercing right after the procedure is done – this will only invite infections and other problems.
- If you want to get an ear piercing or even a facial piercing, make sure that your hair is not on the way.
- Take a shower and clean yourself fully before you get your piercing. It’s not just a polite thing to do but you might also not be allowed to shower straight away after the procedure (depending on the piercing type).
- Shave the area where you want to get pierced (or a surrounding area). Chances are that you won’t be allowed to shave for some time after you get the piercing, so it helps if this body part is cleanly shaved.
- Wear comfortable clothes you can remove easily during the procedure.
- Make sure you have your ID with you. Ask beforehand about the acceptable forms of IDs. In case you are a minor, chances are that you will need to be accompanied by your parent or a guardian. They will typically be asked to sign a consent form before you can get pierced. Also, keep in mind that minors are typically not allowed to get certain piercings (such as genital piercings).
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.