Many people with piercings have a hard time deciding on the best jewelry to use. While it’s universally known that the initial jewelry is plain and made of super-safe materials, there is some doubt over what kind of jewelry to wear once your piercing is fully healed.
Namely, some people cannot wait to change their jewelry into something more beautiful and richly ornamented. In many ways, this is understandable: rich, fully decorated jewelry is more attractive and beautiful. It attracts a lot of attention.
It is fun to wear and it’s even more fun to change your looks: whenever you are tired of one jewelry piece, you can easily substitute it with another.
That being said, plain jewelry offers certain advantages so you should not forget about it. Even if it looks too simple and ordinary, you should have at least some plain jewelry pieces for your piercings.
Ordinary Jewelry Pieces
Plain jewelry pieces are those simple, yet elegant Captive Bead Rings, straight barbells, curved barbells, circular barbells, studs and other simple jewelry pieces. They are great for initial piercings because they are smooth and comfortable.
However, there are many reasons why you should use them even for your healed piercings. While you should have some more decorated and attractive jewelry pieces in your collection, it’s best to always have at least a few of those “plain and simple” jewelry pieces suitable for your piercing.
Why? There are many reasons. Here are the most important ones:
- They are comfortable. Plain jewelry pieces are, simply put, more comfortable than more fancy, ornamented ones. This is why they are great for everyday wear. They will prevent your piercing to become sore or uncomfortable. While you should wear more ornamented pieces for special occasions, these simple, plain pieces are great for day to day wear.
- They are safer. Plain jewelry is great because it brings less risk – it is safer. Typically, plain and simple jewelry pieces are fully made of super-safe materials that cannot hurt your body. Also, the design itself is made not to cause injuries and other problems. This is one of the reasons why initial jewelry is always made in plain and simple designs. To stay safe on day to day basis, it’s best to wear plain jewelry.
- They are more serious. While certain places won’t accept any piercings, plain, smaller jewelry always looks more serious and presentable than those big, ornamented models. For example, you may not be able to wear flashy jewelry at work but simple barbells or studs may be acceptable.
- They are easier to hide. If you want to completely hide your piercing, you will need to use special hider jewelry pieces. That being said, plain jewelry is much better at making your piercing less visible than those big, ornamented pieces. If you wish to stay low-key without using hider jewelry, make sure to use plain and simple jewelry in your piercings.
- They go with every style. Plain jewelry will fit any clothing combination, hairstyle or makeup. It goes with everything, so you don’t have to worry about your jewelry not fitting your style.
- Sometimes, they are the only option. Finally, don’t forget that simple and plain jewelry pieces are sometimes the only ones suitable for your piercing. Certain piercings are very sensitive and located at such places that do not allow for more ornamented and fancy jewelry. For example, genital piercings typically require smooth, plain jewelry so these are the only options. Never try to wear any other type of jewelry in your genital piercings and other sensitive piercings!