In order to enjoy sex to the fullest, it’s important to use adequate lubricants. Any sexual activity, be it intercourse, masturbation or use of adult toys, benefits a lot from using a good lubricant. Do not assume that just because you’re aroused you will be wet enough to make for a comfortable sexual experience. Personal lubricants are your friends.
That being said, it’s vital to choose a good lubricant that is appropriate for your situation. High-quality lubricants come in many different types and offer many advantages, so it’s always possible to choose the best one for your needs.
Advantages of Lubricants
Personal lubricants offer numerous advantages for various sexual activities, so they are a much-needed accessory for any sexual play. Among other things, lubricants ensure:
- A more comfortable experience.
- Smooth, pain-free intercourse.
- Safer intercourse (less tears and other problems).
- Safe use of sex toys.
- More experimentation – they allow you to try new, adventurous things.
The best thing about personal lubricants is that they can be used for about any sexual activity you wish to try, be it with a partner or alone. They make vaginal sex more comfortable. The same goes for anal intercourse: lube is a must-have for anyone who wishes to engage in anal sex. Lube is what makes toy use more comfortable. This is true for any type of adult toy you wish to try. It’s particularly important for those who like to experiment with large sex toys or to try more adventurous forms of toy play, such as urethral stretching and sounding. Also, people who like ball stretching and use ball weights to achieve low-handing balls need to use plenty of lube to ensure safe, pain-free experience.
How to Choose?
Since there are so many different personal lubricants to choose from, you may wonder which one is the best. Your choice should depend on your personal needs and the activities you wish to engage in.
As you probably know, there are several basic types of lubricants:
- Water-based lubes are easy to apply and clean. They may need to be reapplied during use, but they generally make a good choice, especially for those who use them with condoms. Water-based lubricants are safe to be used with latex condoms. One downside to them is that they can be easily washed up in water so they are not good if you wish to engage in some shower fun.
- Oil-based lubes are thicker and more difficult to clean up. They are NOT safe for condom use, so they should be avoided if you wish to use condoms. These lubes are good for those who like a thicker, oily feel. The trouble with oil-based lubes is that they cannot be used for many types of sex toys and they are not recommended to be used internally.
- Silicone-based lubes are somewhat in between the first two groups. They are slick and less sticky than oily lubes but thicker than water-based ones. They can safely be used with condoms. They are particularly great if you wish to use them in water (shower, hot tub) because they will not be washed out by the water. One downside is that they cannot be used with silicone toys.
Besides these basic types, there are many specialized lubes made for specific sex acts or for a specific effect. For example, arousal lubes have a warming, cooling and tingling effect, which enhances the experience. Flavored lubes are made for oral sex. There are even desensitizing lubes that can make a man last longer so they are great for those who wish to have an extra-long experience. Also, some lubes are made to mimic the body’s natural lubrication, so they feel very natural during use.
Some lubes are specially formulated for a specific act. For example, those who enjoy electro sex can use a special lube made to enhance the experience of this sexual play. There also lubes specially made for medical play.
As you can see, there are many quality choices out there, and you should pick based on your needs and preferences. Also, don’t forget to consult your partner to see what they like.