Oral piercings such as tongue piercing and other piercings located inside the mouth can be very stylish and effective, but they also bring certain risks you need to know about.
One of the reasons why oral piercings can be so dangerous is because mouth contains millions of bacteria and it’s in contact with food. This creates a more dangerous environment than the one made for many other piercings.
Not to mention that putting jewelry in such a sensitive place (inside the mouth) can bring numerous other problems. It’s therefore not surprising that oral piercings are considered more sensitive than many others. While these piercings are not necessarily complex nor dangerous, it’s vital to understand dangers and potential pitfalls of these piercings.
Here are some of potential risks and dangers of oral piercings:
- Damaged teeth. Your teeth can be harmed in many different ways. You can crack a tooth if you bit on the piercing. Not to mention that repeated clicking of the jewelry against the teeth can cause damage.
- Damaged gums. Gums can also suffer due to oral piercing. Jewelry might tear or harm gums in another way.
- Infections. Since there are so many bacteria in the mouth, infections are always a risk. Keep in mind that mouth is a sensitive area and that it’s easy to cause an infection there. Piercings will only make the matters worse. In order to prevent this problem, it’s important to monitor your oral piercings so you could spot the problem right from the start and prevent infections.
- Swelling. In the case of an infection or another problem your tongue might swell so much it might close off your airway. This happens very rarely, but it’s a dangerous situation to be in. In order to prevent it, you need to monitor your oral piercings and react to any sign of trouble (such as the beginning of an infection).
- Affected functions. Any oral piercing can interfere with chewing and swallowing. It can also affect speech.
- Allergies. Another potential problem are allergies. Since the tissue inside the mouth is even more sensitive than the skin, allergies are more common and pronounced. This is why it’s vital to wear only jewelry made of medical-grade materials in order to prevent infections.
- Numbness. This problem often occurs as a result of improper piercing and a sloppy procedure. If not done correctly, tongue piercing and other oral piercings can cause numbness of the nerves on the tongue and other areas of the mouth. In order to avoid this problem, always hire only reliable, experienced piercers working for a reputable piercing studio.
- Drooling. Some tongue piercings and other oral piercings can increase the production of saliva.
- Problems with dental appointments. Sometimes, oral piercings will make a dental appointment difficult. For example, jewelry can block X rays or the position of the piercing will make it difficult for a dentist to approach teeth.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.