Rejection is a common problem many pierced people face. It’s important to understand that any piercing type can be rejected, though there are certain types with a higher risk of rejection. In a way, rejection is a constant risk for any piercing, and that’s something you need to live with.
Luckily, there are many ways to minimize this risk and to be happy with your piercing. Many people never encounter rejections with any of their piercings, so it’s good to know that rejection is not always a problem.
What is Piercing Rejection?
It’s important to understand that your body treats any piercing as a wound and any jewelry as a foreign object. Therefore, the body will make an effort to heal the wound whenever possible and to push the foreign object out of the body.
When it comes to healing, it’s important to keep jewelry inside the piercing hole at all times or else the piercing will start to heal. Even old, healed piercings will heal if jewelry is not worn, unless it’s a piercing stretched to a very large gauge.
So, it’s important to keep jewelry inside. This is where the issue of rejection comes to play: your body will treat jewelry as a foreign object and will try to get rid of it. Rejection happens when the body succeeds to push the jewelry out.
During rejection, the jewelry will get pushed to the surface. This process happens gradually but it results in jewelry being moved to the surface of the skin until it eventually comes out.
Rejection is very frustrating and annoying, because it means you won’t be able to keep that great piercing or that gorgeous jewelry piece. Since rejection is always a risk, it’s important to know how to minimize this risk.
How to Prevent Rejection
While it’s impossible to bring rejection risk to 0%, it’s possible to greatly minimize the risk so you won’t have to worry about rejection problems. There are some very effective steps you can take to prevent piercing rejection:
• Correct piercing. The most important step is to have a piercing done correctly. This is why it’s important to find a reliable, experienced piercer. This person will know how to pierce you and what kind of a procedure is needed to ensure the best results. Some things will depend on your anatomy while the others will depend on the type of the piercing you wish to get. A good piercer will know how to combine all the factors to make the safest piercing that will not get rejected. For these reasons, choosing a good piercer is of utmost importance.
• Choose the right jewelry. It’s important that the jewelry you use is high-quality and suitable for the type of piercing you have. Your jewelry has to be of a correct size. It should not be too small or too large. It should sit comfortably against your skin and it should never be too tight. Also, be careful with jewelry that’s too heavy – these jewelry pieces can cause some harm and will increase the rejection risk.
• The right gauge. This is another thing your piercer will have to pay attention to, and so will you if you choose to stretch your piercings. Small gauge piercings use small gauge jewelry, which is more prone to rejection. For this reason, it’s important to get pierced with a large enough gauge that will minimize the rejection risk.
• Jewelry materials. Make sure to only use body safe jewelry materials for your piercing. Jewelry containing nickel can cause infections, which can lead to rejection. It’s important to use only jewelry made of materials you’re not allergic to. Stick to the safest materials, such as titanium, surgical steel or nickel-free gold.
• Take care of your piercing. Infections and other problems with the piercing are known to lead to rejection. For this reason, it’s important to keep your piercing clean. Follow all the aftercare instructions during the healing process and make sure to avoid any infections and damage to your piercing. Clean, problem-free piercings are much less likely to get rejected.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.