Many women wonder if piercings are safe to be performed or maintained during pregnancy. It’s important to know that each person is individual, so the answer to this question will depend on the woman’s body and also the way her pregnancy progresses. Some of the individual factors also include a woman’s personality. For example, some women state that they would not like a piercing procedure to be performed while they are pregnant.
As usual, it’s important to listen to your body and to consider your wishes before you make a decision. However, it’s also vital to know all about health recommendations and potential risks associated with piercings and pregnancy. This is the only way to make an informed decision.
Getting a Piercing
Keep in mind that during pregnancy, your body is accommodating your developing child, so any invasive procedure may cause a shock for the immune system. This shock is usually not dangerous, but it may cause additional problems during pregnancy.
Many professional piercers will not pierce anyone they know is pregnant. You should respect their decision. Keep in mind that reliable piercers have your best interest in mind and that will not want to endanger you or your unborn child.
If you truly wish to get pierced while pregnant, you should consult your doctor. Tell them you wish to get pierced and ask for their advice. Don’t forget to tell your doctor what kind of a piercing you wish to get. A genital piercing is much different than piercing your earlobes. Ask your doctor if the procedure you want to get is safe for you. In case your doctor concludes that it’s safe for you to get pierced, you need to get an official permission to show to your piercer. Professional piercers will not agree to pierce you without this permission.
What about existing piercings you already have? Will you be able to keep them during pregnancy? Again, a lot will depend on your individual body and the way your pregnancy progresses. Many women are able to keep their existing piercings, but you should always consult your doctor to make sure it’s ok to keep your piercings.
It’s also important to listen to your body. In case a piercing becomes uncomfortable for whatever reason, it may be the best thing to remove jewelry.
This is particularly important for certain piercing types that may be affected by pregnancy. First and foremost, that’s belly button piercing, but nipple piercings will also be affected due to changes in woman’s breasts during pregnancy.
Many people wonder if they will be able to keep their navel piercing during pregnancy. As your belly grows, it will affect your belly button and the placement of the piercing. You may find that your jewelry catches or clothing or it may irritated your skin.
However, these is usually a way to retain your navel piecing during pregnancy. Instead of metal jewelry, you should wear specially designed retainers made to keep your piercing until you are ready to wear regular jewelry again. These navel retainers are soft, transparent and very comfortable. They will not irritate your skin and chances are that you will be able to use them throughout pregnancy to keep your piercing.
- Even with these recommendations, keep in mind that women are discouraged from getting any piercing during pregnancy. This is particularly true for piercings done on sensitive body parts such as nipples, navel or genitalia. During pregnancy, these body parts change and it may prevent the piercing to heal properly.
- Always notify your piercer about being pregnant. It may not be obvious during the first months of pregnancy, so you need to be honest with your piercer.
- In case you observe changes with your piercing, it’s vital to remove jewelry straight away. You should not endanger the health of your baby or yourself. In case the piercing becomes inflamed, red or irritated, or if it becomes uncomfortable, you should remove jewelry straight away. It is also recommended to visit your doctor to make sure there is no danger for your or baby’s health.
- Remember, even if you have to retire your piercing during pregnancy, you can always get pierced again.
- For new moms: breastfeeding should never be performed with nipple piercing on! Nipple jewelry is a choking hazard for the baby and makes it more difficult for baby to suck on the nipple. Even if you remove jewelry during breastfeeding, it may be a source of infection for the baby. This is why it might be best for nipple piercings to be retired during breastfeeding.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.