Nipple piercings are known to be painful but with the right procedure the pain doesn’t last long and you can enjoy your new piercing for years.
Placement and Procedure
Nipple piercings are done on the base of the nipple, where the nipple meets areola. It’s very important to pierce only the nipple but not areola, or else you can experience numerous problems, such as infection, migration and rejection.
In order to ensure a good experience and a proper nipple piercing, it’s important to choose a knowledgeable and experienced piercer. Make sure to pick a reliable piercing studio and a person who knows what they’re doing. Nipple piercings are a bit complex so you need someone who has plenty of experience performing this type of piercing.
There are several ways to perform this piercing: clamping and freehand. The choice will generally depend on your piercer and your anatomy.
Nipple piercings generally do not have harmful side-effects. However, it’s important to ensure proper placement and correct procedure in order to have a good nipple piercing.
There are many jewelry pieces you can use for nipple piercing. A lot will depend on your personal preferences and anatomy.
Typically, a straight barbell is used for nipple piercings, though many people prefer to use Captive Bead Rings and other types of rings. Another choice may be a circular barbell, though this is a rarer option.
Whatever jewelry type you choose, keep in mind that it has to be properly fitted. Initially, you will want to get a bit longer jewelry that will account for swelling. This jewelry should be replaced after the swelling is gone.
It’s vital to make sure that jewelry is not too short. If it’s short, it will dig up into the nipple or areola, which is a recipe for trouble. A too long of a barbell or too big of a ring can easily get caught on clothes so that’s another situation you want to avoid.
Make sure to always use body-friendly jewelry. It has to be made of safe materials in order to prevent problems such as infections, migration or rejection.
Here are some additional tips and info about nipple piercings:
- Most people can have their nipples pierced, but it’s always important to consult your chosen piercer before you book an appointment.
- It doesn’t matter which side you get pierced. It will depend on your preferences and desired effect. Of course, you can always pierce both of your nipples.
- You can have more than one piercing on your nipple, which can create interesting effects when you insert your jewelry.
- The most common type of a nipple piercing is a horizontal one, but you can have your piercing oriented in any way you like. Vertical and diagonal nipple piercings are other common variants.
- Nipple piercings are usually done in 16 gauge (or larger) for women and 14 gauge (or larger) for men.
- Nipple piercings are sensitive and take a while to heal properly. It takes about 3-4 months for men and around 6 months or longer for women. You can experience tenderness during this time, which is normal, but if the problem persist you need to consult your doctor.
- Nipple piercings can do wonders for inverted nipples. They will typically keep your nipple erect so it will improve the visual image of your nipples.
- Nipple piercings can be very erotic. They not only look great but can also provide sexual pleasure and amazing sensations.
- Generally speaking, a nipple piercing does not prevent breastfeeding. However, it’s always important to remove jewelry before breastfeeding to prevent the baby from swallowing the jewelry or hurting their mouth.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.