While a typical navel piercing is the one done through the upper rim of the navel, it’s important to know that this is just one of the possible placements for this piercing type. In fact, there are many different placements and navel piercing types you can get.
Typical jewelry for most navel piercings is a curved barbell, though there are other jewelry choices that can be used, such as Captive Bead Rings and other types of rings. Sometimes, the jewelry choice will depend on the navel piercing type you choose to get.
Here are the most common navel jewelry types:
- Regular navel. What is considered a “regular navel piercing” is a vertical piercing done through the upper rim of the navel. This is the most common and by far the most popular navel piercing in the world.
- Inverse navel. This is another vertical placement. The main difference between this piercing and regular navel piercing is that the inverse variant is placed on the lower part of the navel (lower ridge) instead of the upper.
- Horizontal navel. This is a horizontal variant of the navel piercing. Instead through the ridge of the navel, this placement is done long the ridge, horizontally. Sometimes, it’s possible to pierce different spots horizontally, so you may pierce through the lower ridge of the navel, to achieve the lower horizontal placement.
- True navel piercing. This is a relatively rare placement and requires specific anatomy. To be able to get this piercing, you need to have an “outie” belly button. In the case of this piercing, instead of navel ridge, the piercing is done on the navel itself.
- Navel industrial. This is a combination of several navel piercings connected by a single barbell. Typical jewelry is a long straight barbell (industrial barbell). There are many different directions to position a navel industrial. Typically, piercings are done separately and jewelry is added later, once the piercing are healed. However, some piercers choose to connect new piercings with the jewelry straight away.
- Multiple navel piercings. A navel can be pierced multiple times to create different patterns. Some of these piercings can be connected by a single jewelry piece to create a navel industrial (see above), while others can use individual jewelry pieces. There are many different patterns and placements you can achieve with multiple navel piercings. These piercings always look very stylish and richly ornamented so it’s possible to achieve multiple different looks with these piercings.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.