Here are some tips on how to choose navel jewelry of the right size:
Things to Keep in Mind
Typical navel jewelry is 14 gauge. This is the gauge most people are pierced with so jewelry in this size is very common. However, other gauges are also possible so do not assume your belly button piercing is 14 gauge if you are unsure. It’s important to know the exact size you are pierced with to ensure a good fit.
When it comes to length, there are some common sizes. Typical navel jewelry is a curved barbell, so the length discussed here applies to this jewelry type. Most common navel jewelry is a barbell that is 3/8” to 7/16” long. Keep in mind however, that this is a length for healed piercing. Initial navel jewelry has to be a bit longer, to account for swelling.
While curved barbells are often used for navel piercings, you may also use other piercing types, such as Captive Bead Rings. CBRs are a good choice for initial jewelry, though many piercers choose to use curved barbells for initial jewelry. If you decide to get a ring, make sure it’s large enough to account for swelling.
How to Measure Jewelry
In order to find the best fit for your navel piercing, it’s important to know how to measure your jewelry properly. For a curved barbell, it’s vital to determine the length. This will be a straight line between the balls. Do not measure along the curve of the barbell! Simply measure the straight line between the top and bottom ball. Make sure to start measuring under the top ball and go all the way to the top side of the bottom ball.
When deciding on the best length of a curved barbell, make sure to give it some space. You should leave some barbell showing when you wear your navel jewelry. It means you should not get a barbell that is so short to dig into your flesh. Leave a bit of a barbell showing to make the piercing air properly and prevent the jewelry from pulling into the flesh.
On the other hand, you don’t want to get a barbell that is too long. It might end up catching on clothes and hurting you. For the optimal result, leave around ¼” of barbell showing.
Here are some additional tips about finding the best belly button jewelry size:
- You need to be patient. You might need to experiment with a few sizes to find the best fit for you.
- The length of your navel jewelry will depend a lot on your piercing. If you have a shallow piercing you will need to get a shorter jewelry than a person with a deep piercing. Typically, a good length for a shallow piercing is 5/16”, 3/8” to 7/16” for a standard piercing and around ½” for deep piercings. In some extreme cases, if your piercing is very deep, you might need to get jewelry as large as 9/16”, but this is rare.
- In case you have a very sharp-angled piercing, you might experiment with jewelry types to find the ones that suit you best. Some jewelry types will make the piercing look straight so you might want to use them. Since this type of a piercing is not a standard one it’s tricky to determine the best size. This is why you should try several different things to find the one that’s best for you.
- Shallow piercings will go best with smaller, lightweight jewelry pieces. You don’t want to go with anything too big, heavy or ornamented because your piercing might not be able to sustain it.
- Keep extra care of your new piercing. You need to get a body-friendly initial jewelry that will account for swelling and help your navel piercing heal properly. This jewelry will typically be bigger than the standard jewelry you will wear once your jewelry is fully healed.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.