It’s one of the most common lip piercing types and it’s very simple yet effective.
It can be used alone or as a part of other piercings, particularly those “bites” lip piercings that consist of two or more lip piercings.
About Medusa Piercing
A Medusa piercing is relatively simple. It is also known as a philtrum piercing. It is done in the middle of the upper lip, on the philtrum. This is part of the lip located directly under the septum of the nose and just above the lowest part of the upper lip’s center. The jewelry is made to sit in the dip of the upper lip. This is a very effective placement so Medusa piercing is difficult to miss even with the most discreet jewelry type. At the same time, this piercing type is rarely made to be huge or distracting, and while you can choose to wear big jewelry in your Medusa piercing most people choose something more comfortable and basic.
It’s not difficult to locate your philtrum: this is the indent between the nose and the upper lip. All people have a philtrum, though some have a philtrum that is more pronounced. Typically, these differences are not crucial for a Medusa piercing. Chances are that you will be able to get this piercing regardless of the size or a shape of your philtrum.
A Medusa piercing is a simple horizontal piercing made on the philtrum. The skin on the philtrum is pierced so the hole enters from the face and ends inside of the mouth, somewhere above the front teeth.
While Medusa is not difficult to perform, it’s important to keep in mind that this spot is very sensitive. It might make the procedure uncomfortable, but the whole process should not last for long.
After the procedure, it’s crucial to follow the aftercare instructions carefully. Keep in mind that Medusa, just like most of the other lip piercings, is a dual care piercing. On one hand, it is a lip piercing and on the other, it is an oral piercing. It means you should follow both the aftercare instructions for oral piercings and for “regular” piercings done on the surface of the body.
Typical jewelry for a Medusa piercing is a simple labret. A labret stud is small and comfortable, yet it looks very effective when placed on this spot above the upper lip. Of course, it’s your choice whether you want to use a very basic labret or a more decorated one. Many people feel that simple yet elegant labrets are the best way to go, but you may also opt for a decorated labret with a gem or made in a bright color.
Since Medusa is typically done in 16 gauge or 14 gauge, this is the recommended jewelry size for this piercing. Keep in mind that the initial jewelry will probably be a big longer at first, to accommodate for swelling. You should replace this initial jewelry with a shorter one after a few weeks. It’s best to ask your piercer to do it, since your piercing will be tender and sensitive.
- A Medusa piercing is made to be very similar to a typical labret piercing, only positioned between the nose and the upper lip. It’s the placement and not specific piercing type or jewelry that makes a Medusa piercing what it is.
- A specific variation of a Medusa piercing is a Jestrum piercing (also known as vertical Medusa). With this piercing, the jewelry is positioned vertically through the lip and both ends of jewelry are visible.
- Philtrum, a dimple above the upper lip, is sometimes known as “Cupid’s bow”. However, a Medusa piercing is almost newer referred to as “Cupid’s bow piercing”.
- Medusa piercing may be uncomfortable at first, especially when it comes to eating and drinking. This is why it’s important to follow all the aftercare instructions carefully in order to avoid infections and other problems.
- The average healing time for a Medusa piercing is between 6 and 12 weeks. However, keep in mind that this piercing is fully healed only after 6 months. Keep this in mind when it comes to aftercare and jewelry you intend to use in your Medusa piercing.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.