Large gauge jewelry is typically used for stretched piercings. The most common type of a stretched piercing is stretched earlobe, but there are many other piercings that can be stretched with a great success (septum piercing, nipple piercing and various types of genital piercings, among the others).
All these stretched piercings require large gauge jewelry. This type of jewelry is made of many different materials. Some of the materials used for large gauge jewelry are popular materials used for other types of body jewelry, such as Surgical Steel, gold or titanium. On the other hand, large gauge jewelry can also be made of many other materials, first and foremost, numerous organic materials. This is what makes large gauge jewelry truly stylish and unique.
Large gauge jewelry is made of many different materials. Some of the materials are common body jewelry materials often used for other types of jewelry. The most common ones are popular body-friendly and medical-grade materials, such as 316LVM Surgical Steel or titanium. These materials are safe, durable and make a great choice for any body jewelry pieces, regardless of gauge.
If you like these metal jewelry pieces, you may choose between numerous large gauge Surgical Steel or titanium rings. Some of these rings are popular Captive Bead Rings, though you may choose other ring types, such as Screwball rings or Seamless rings.
Gold is another popular jewelry material. Gold jewelry can be made in any gauge, so you will find many large gauge gold pieces. When choosing gold jewelry, it’s important to make sure that the gold used is safe. It means it should not contain any harmful alloys, such as nickel. Nickel allergy is a serious problem so it’s important to use only nickel-free gold.
Apart from popular body jewelry materials, large gauge jewelry has the advantage of using numerous exotic and organic materials. Some materials are too delicate to be used for small-gauge jewelry. With large gauges, however, there is no danger that the material would break. This is why there are so many materials used for large gauge jewelry only.
Organic materials are particularly popular for stretched piercing jewelry. Materials such as wood, stone, bone and horn or glass look wonderful in stretched piercings. These materials are carefully shaped to make large gauge jewelry for your stretched earlobes or another stretched jewelry types.
One advantage of these materials is that they allow the skin to breathe much better than with metal or acrylic. Another advantage are all those unique, organic colors and patterns you get with organic jewelry pieces. Since this type of jewelry is organic, each piece is truly unique and one of a kind.
One note about organic jewelry: it is very effective and beautiful, but it should be used for healed piercings only. This is why you should wait a bit after stretching to use them. Make sure that your stretched piercing is completely healed and infection-free before inserting any organic jewelry piece.
- In case you are unsure about jewelry size you have, use a gauge wheel. Gauge wheels are handy tools for measuring your jewelry so you can always choose jewelry of the appropriate size for your stretched piercing. When in doubt, use a gauge wheel so you won’t make a mistake and wear jewelry that doesn’t fit.
- Organic materials are often porous, which means they make a good place for various bacteria. This is why it’s so important that your piercing is fully healed and stretched properly before you use any organic jewelry pieces.
- In case you notice any redness, itching, infection, migration or rejection, do not ignore it. Take your jewelry out and replace it with a jewelry piece you’ve worn without a problem. If the problem persist, consult your doctor. You might need to retire a piercing or go back to a smaller gauge, but it’s a small price to pay. You should never allow for a piercing to get infected even if it means that you wouldn’t be able to wear your favorite jewelry piece.
- Some materials are heavier than the others. Keep this in mind when ordering your large gauge jewelry. For example, Surgical Steel is heavier than titanium. Titanium, gold and all the metals are heavier than organic materials. Some organic materials (stone, glass) tend to be heavier than the others (wood, horn). In some cases, this size and weight can be an advantage (for example, for some genital piercing types). In other situations, heavy jewelry might pose a problem. This is why you should choose materials carefully and pick the one that weights just how you need it.
- In case you have a stretched genital piercing but your partner doesn’t appreciate heavy jewelry, you may remove your jewelry during intercourse. Make sure to insert your jewelry after intercourse because genital piercings tend to heal very quickly so chances are that you’ll have a lot of problems inserting jewelry after a while. This is a common problem with penis piercings.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.