Horizontal Clitoral Hood piercing, also known as a HCH, is a female genital piercing. It is lesser known than the more popular placement, Vertical Clitoral Hood piercing (VHC), but it’s popular enough so there are many women with it.
The fact it’s not particularly rare means that there are qualified piercers who are knowledgeable with this type of piercing. That makes it easier to find an experienced piercer to handle your HCH. However, you should never assume that a piercer is experienced with this type of piercing: you should always check and research piercers carefully before you find the right one.
Piercing and Placement
Horizontal Clitoral Hood piercing, as the name says, is done on the clitoral hood. Clitoral hood piercings are different than clitoral piercings because they don’t go through the clitoris itself. True clitoral piercings are actually rare and complex, so not many women opt for them. However, some women are not informed about the specifics so they think clitoral hood piercings are “clitoral piercings”.
The most popular clitoral hood piercing is the Vertical Hood Piercing, which is done vertically through the clitoral hood. This is probably the most popular female genital piercing in the world. Horizontal Clitoral Hood piercing is somewhat rarer placement, but it’s still popular enough.
As the name suggests, Horizontal Clitoral Hood piercing is done horizontally through the clitoral hood. As with any other piercing, especially genital piercing, it’s important to ensure you are anatomically built for this piercing. This is why it’s important to consult your chosen piercer. You need to have enough tissue so the piercing can be done horizontally through the hood. It’s also important to note that some women who are not built for Vertical Clitoral hood piercing are built for the horizontal, so it’s always important to check.
The piercing is typically done at 14 gauge or 12 gauge. Your piercer will decide which one is the best for your case.
Typical jewelry for Horizontal Hood piercing is a ring or a circular barbell. Some people recommend one over the other for initial jewelry, so ask your piercer for the advice. Once the jewelry is fully healed you may change the jewelry type to the one you prefer the best.
Rings used for HCH are typically Captive Bead Rings. The bead of the ring is made to sit on top of the clitoris, so it’s best to use a ring with a decorative bead. On the other hand, some women prefer simple yet elegant rings without decorative beads, so that’s another possibility.
Circular barbells are another common choice. They are great because they don’t make the full circle so they can be tucked in behind the clitoris to ensure better comfort during everyday wear.
Additional Info and Tips
Here are some initial tips and information about HCH:
- Horizontal Clitoral Hood piercing is not considered to be a functional piercing. Most of the time, it will not enhance sexual pleasure, since the jewelry doesn’t rub directly on the clitoris. However, it all depends on your anatomy. Some women can use the bead of the ring or jewelry itself to stimulate the clitoris.
- This piercing is typically not painful to perform, since there’s only a little tissue to pierce and it’s not particularly sensitive. Remember: the piercing does not go through the clitoris, just the hood.
- Healing time for this type of piercing is 6 to 8 weeks.
- HCH is not a typical piercing to stretch, but it can be stretched to a certain size if you like. Typically, it’s recommended not to go over 10 gauge.
- You should not abstain from sex for too long after getting a HCH done. The exact time will depend on your comfort. However, make sure not to damage the tissue or jewelry during the healing time. It’s best to use condoms for penetrative sex.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.