There are many bad piercers out these so you need to be extremely cautious when choosing a person to get you pierced. The choice of a studio and a person who is going to perform the procedure is vital in ensuring your safety and complete satisfaction. You should never get pierced unless you are sure that the person knows what they’re doing.
For these reasons, it’s important to take your time and research available piercers before you make your decision. There are some warning signs you should never ignore when choosing a piercer.
Here are some things to pay attention to when choosing a body piercer:
- Is the studio reliable? Good piercers usually come with reliable studios, so you should always look for a good place to get pierced. While a piercing studio and a piercer as a person are not the same thing, keep in mind that no reliable piercer would want to work in a trashy, unsanitary studio. This is why it’s important to inspect the studio itself before you make your decision. Is the place clean? Does it adhere to all safety and hygiene standards? Does it have an autoclave? These are just some of the things you should consider before making your decision.
- License. It goes without saying that you should only get pierced by a licensed professional. Always ask to see a business license in a studio and current health board certification.
- Is the person qualified? It is vital that your piercer is qualified and can perform the procedure properly. One potential problem here is that there are no clear regulations on which qualifications a body piercer should have. Someone might only have one short course or a couple of weeks of training. These piercers are not reliable and you should not choose them. Keep in mind that successful training lasts for years.
- Is the person knowledgeable? Another thing you should pay attention to is how much your piercer knows about various aspects of the procedure, health and aftercare. You need someone who has enough knowledge in all the aspects of the piercing process, starting from health and safety standards. A good piercer has to know a lot about cross-contamination, infection control and proper sterilization in order to ensure safety during procedure. They should also have some knowledge of anatomy and how to avoid important nerves and other body structures. A piercer should know how to choose proper jewelry based on materials, shape, size, and more. Also, a good piercer should know all about proper aftercare and to explain all steps to the clients to ensure they follow these aftercare instructions.
- Is the person experienced? You should only get pierced by a person who has rich experience in performing piercings. Theoretical knowledge is not enough. Also, being experienced with certain piercing types is not enough: your piercer has to be experienced in the type of procedure you wish to get. While most professional piercers know how to perform popular piercings (earlobe, nose, eyebrow or navel piercing), if you wish to get something less popular or more complex, it is vital to make sure that your piercer is experienced with the given piercing type. This is particularly important for genital piercings and other highly sensitive piercing types.
- The portfolio. Before you decide on a piercing artist, ask to see their portfolio. While portfolios are more common for tattoo artists, reliable piercers will have them, too. Piercers take photos of the piercings they perform so you can judge their work. Typically, photos are taken at various stages of the healing process. While many of the photos in the portfolio show newly made piercings, a good piercer will also have examples of healed piercings. This way, you should be able to see how this person’s piercing job looks when it’s healed.
- Do they use a piercing gun? If a piercer uses a gun, it’s a clear sign they don’t know what they’re doing. While most professional places will not employ anyone who uses a piercing gun as a tool, it’s important to check. In case they use a gun, or even if they mention gun as a possibility to choose from, it’s a clear sign that the person is not a professional. You don’t want to be pierced by someone who uses gun.
- Can you be comfortable around this person? Perhaps you don’t like a particular piercer without being able to tell why. This is ok. In case you’re getting bad vibes from someone, or if you just don’t feel comfortable around them, it is ok to request someone else. Someone can be a good professional but if you can’t be comfortable around them, you should not be pierced by them. This is particularly important for some more intimate piercings, such as nipple or genital piercings. You need to be relaxed around the person doing the piercing, so this is an important factor to consider.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.