Belly (navel) piercing is among the most popular types of piercings. Luckily, it also means there are enough quality, body-safe jewelry pieces you can find. Belly jewelry comes in many different styles, materials and sizes, so you’ll sure be able to find something you truly like.
Choosing Safe Jewelry
The large number of different belly jewelry pieces also means that there are many subpar jewelry products you can find. You can buy belly jewelry almost anywhere: at a mall, or even on the streets. More often than not, these jewelry pieces are of poor quality and can endanger your health.
To keep yourself safe, it’s important to stick to reliable stores and only use jewelry made of body-safe materials. This is the only way to ensure satisfaction and to keep yourself safe and healthy. It also means you will have to pay a bit more than for that cheap jewelry piece you can find at a mall, but trust us, it’s a money well-spent. You don’t want to endanger your health, risk allergies (or worse conditions), experience infections and inflammation, or have your piercing rejected, just to save a few bucks. At the same time, you don’t really have to spend a fortune on a quality jewelry piece. There are many reasonably priced but still high-quality products you can find. What is important is to stay away from the cheap pieces (cheap both in price and craft).
Navel Piercing Tips
To keep yourself on the safe side and to keep your belly piercing clean, you need to stick to a few rules. Here are the basic navel piercing tips to follow:
- Wait until your belly piercing is fully healed to change your jewelry. It’s true that most initial piercing jewelry pieces are very plain and simple, but there’s a reason for it. It’s understandable that you want to try different jewelry styles, but patience is important here. You need to wait for your new belly piercing to completely heal before you can try new jewelry. Remember, it can take as long as 9 months for your belly piercing to heal completely. In the most cases, it’s safe to change jewelry after 4-6 months, but keep in mind that healing time is individual.
- Make sure to protect your belly jewelry from being snagged on clothing during healing time. Use an eye patch or hard plastic and secure it over your belly to protect both the piercing and jewelry.
- Most common belly jewelry pieces are 3/8 inches long, but there are many other sizes to choose from. When picking the best belly jewelry for yourself, make sure that it’s not too small. Short navel jewelry can irritate the skin and it opens the door to infections and inflammation.
- Always pick lightweight belly jewelry pieces. Heavy jewelry can make your skin sore and it can stretch your piercing even if you don’t want that to happen. Not to mention that heavy jewelry can make a problem when moving or changing clothes. If you really love heavy jewelry, don’t wear it for a long period of time. Never sleep with heavy belly jewelry.
- Be careful with overly complicated jewelry pieces. There are many gorgeous belly curved barbells with lots of gems and dangles, and it’s understandable you might want to wear them in special situations. However, these jewelry pieces are best not to be worn every day. They can get caught on clothes. Also, these jewelry pieces are there to be shown, so wear them only when you want to have your belly shown.
- People with the so-called “outie” belly button can have a true navel piercing, where the navel itself is pierced (as the opposite of just the skin above or under it). These people can also wear unique jewelry pieces in their belly piercing.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.