Auricle Piercing is a piercing done at the middle part of the outer rim of the ear cartilage. It is located under the ear’s helix. This is a highly sensitive spot rich in nerve endings, which makes auricle piercing one of the more painful ear piercings. However, it can look very effective so it is not surprising there are so many people who choose to have this type of piercing on their ears.
Placement and Procedure
Auricle piercing is positioned on the middle of the outer rim of the ear. As noted above, it is a very sensitive spot rich in nerves, so the procedure can be uncomfortable and painful. Because of this, and because auricle piercing is not among the most popular piercing types, it is important to find an experienced piercer who is familiar with this piercing type. You need a reliable individual who has experience with this particular piercing type – someone who knows how to perform only earlobe piercings will simply not do!
The piercing is done using a piercing needle, typically at 14 gauge. However, your piercer will decide if smaller or larger gauge is best for you. The procedure itself does not last long, but it may cause sharp pain and burning sensation even when it’s completed.
After the procedure you may experience some soreness, bruising and swelling. Minor bleeding is also possible. However, they should go after a week or so. If problems persist, make sure to consult your doctor.
After getting your auricle piercing done, it is important to perform proper aftercare in order to prevent infections, migration, rejection and other problems. To clean your new piercing, use a simple saline solution twice per day. Make sure not to overclean your piercing because it may irritate the skin and cause problems.
Auricle piercing typically requires relatively small but attractive jewelry. There are many different jewelry types to choose from. Some people prefer simple labret studs for their auricle piercing but with richly ornamented beads. This is one common choice for auricle piercing.
However, other options are also possible. For example, some people opt for circular barbells or Captive Bead Rings for their auricle piercing. Like in the case of labret studs, it’s best to choose ones with shiny and ornamented balls to make your piercing look extra attractive and noticeable.
Additional Tips and Info
- Auricle piercing takes about 3 to 9 months to heal.
- To prevent problems during healing, make sure to use only a mild soap when washing your ears and face. This will prevent irritation.
- Try not to sleep on your piercing during the initial healing time.
- During the initial stages of healing, avoid heavy shampoos, lotions and other chemicals that may irritate the piercing.
- Don’t twist or turn your jewelry. It will only cause problems during healing.
- It is important to keep your hair away from your ear during the initial healing time.
- Another word of warning: never, under any circumstance, should you allow to be pierced with a piercing gun. Auricle piercing is a cartilage piercing and it simply cannot be done this way properly. That being said, piercing guns are generally bad so no piercing should be done using them.
- Auricle piercings are often done in pairs and groups. Therefore, you can have a double auricle piercing, a triple auricle piercing or a multiple auricle piercing. These are all separate piercings done close together. If you choose to go this way make sure to use identical or matching jewelry for the each piercing so it’s clear they form a group.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.