You need to perform aftercare properly in order to speed up the healing process and prevent problems such as infection, migration or rejection.
Here are some quick tips on what to do and what to avoid during the healing time:
- Make sure to clean your new piercing with a mild solution. Saline solution is the best way to go.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before you touch your piercing or jewelry. Unclean hands increase the risk of infection and other problems.
- Speaking of which, the only time you should touch your piercing is to clean it. It should be left alone at all other times.
- Aftercare success and healing depend a lot on your health. In order to speed up the healing process and to prevent infections and other problems, make sure to stay healthy. It includes healthy food, exercise and plenty of sleep.
- Make sure your clothing is loose and comfortable enough so jewelry won’t get caught in it.
- To speed up the healing process, make sure to clean and change your bed linen regularly.
- Keep your piercing away from irritants, including pressure. Move your hair away from your ears (in the case of ear piercings) and avoid tight clothes on your stomach (in the case of navel piercings).
- Do not use bathtubs during the healing time – they can harbor bacteria. Opt for showers instead.
- Never clean your new piercing with a strong chemical or a harsh soap. Avoid alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.
- Never turn, twist or rotate your jewelry during healing. Twisting jewelry is a bad practice and a horrible advice that can only bring more problems.
- Don’t overclean your piercing during the healing time. It can lead to irritation and other problems.
- Do not share bodily fluids with other people during the piercing healing time. This is particularly important in the case of genital piercings.
- Alcohol, caffeine and drugs are bad for your health and will prolong or prevent proper healing process.
Here are some additional tips not necessarily related to aftercare:
- Do not get pierced at someone’s home, garage or another similar place, even if they are a professional piercer. It’s important to be pierced at a studio. Choose a piercing studio carefully. It has to be a safe and reliable place.
- Do not pierce yourself and do not allow to be pierced by a friend or another non-professional. Choose your piercer wisely. This person should be experienced and knowledgeable enough. If you want to get a less common piercing type, make sure that your chosen piercer has experience with that particular piercing type, not just piercings in general. This is particularly important for genital piercings and other complex and sensitive piercing types.
- Don’t go through a piercing procedure if you have a cold or another health problem.
- Always wear high-quality, safe jewelry made of body-friendly materials. Cheap, poorly made jewelry can endanger your health and lead to numerous other problems. Quality jewelry is also more durable, so it’s money well spent.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.