Acrylic is one of the materials used for body piercing jewelry. This is a very lightweight material so it’s very comfortable to wear.
Also, acrylic offers other advantages to metal jewelry and it’s ideal for those who wish to avoid metal jewelry pieces.
Acrylic as a Material
Acrylic is one of the most popular plastic materials. There are some other plastics used for body jewelry, such as silicone and Lucite. However, Acrylic is by far the most popular plastic material used for body jewelry.
I provides numerous advantages for those who wish to use this material. First of all, it is plastic and not metal, so it makes for great unconventional jewelry. Metal body jewelry is often too heavy, which may cause discomfort. Acrylic, on the other hand, provides perfect comfort for the wearer. Most of the time you won’t even know that the jewelry is there.
Another thing to keep in mind is that metal jewelry is not always a good option. Metal detectors in airports can sometimes be triggered by metal body jewelry. In these situations, it makes sense to wear jewelry made of plastics.
Metal jewelry is also forbidden in certain circumstances, such as medical tests and procedures. Sometimes, hospitals prohibit the use of metal body jewelry both for patients and visitors. In these situations it makes sense to wear non-metallic body jewelry and Acrylic is great for this purpose.
Some Points of Warning
- While Acrylic jewelry is comfortable and generally safe for use, it’s vital to keep some things in mind if you decide to wear jewelry made of this material:
- Some grades of Acrylic are FDA approved and they are safe to be used as body jewelry.
- Acrylic jewelry is suitable only for short-term wear. It should not be worn at all times.
- Jewelry made of Acrylic is only suitable for fully healed, healthy piercings. Never use Acrylic jewelry as initial jewelry for your piercing.
- Avoid wearing Acrylic jewelry in the mouth or genitals.
- Acrylic jewelry cannot be autoclaved.
- Since Acrylic is damaged by alcohol you need to be very careful when cleaning your jewelry made of this material.
Melina is a staff writer, author and researcher for TheChainGang. She covers numerous subjects, from body jewelry to kinky adult toys. In addition to this, Melina also provides occasional adult toy reviews written in an interesting and sexy manner. She says: “I’m happy and proud to be a part of TheChainGang team. I enjoy every research because I know how much importance TheChainGang places on customer satisfaction and providing accurate and up to date information. I particularly like sex toy reviews: they are fun to write and experience”. In addition to writing and researching, Melina provides online research results and handy information for buyers interested in accurate and easily understandable tips and advice on choosing the best adult toys and body jewelry.