Tragus piercings are popular, even though they are not as common as other ear piercing types. Tragus piercings can be very stylish and they accentuate your ear in a discreet but fashionable manner. It is a great piercing for those who prefer cute jewelry that is not too big or “in your face”. It also goes well with other ear piercing types.
Tragus Piercing Placement
A tragus piercing is made on a specific part of the ear (tragus). This is a little projection located in front of the ear canal. Most people have this part of the ear developed enough so they can have a tragus piercing performed without a problem.
In fact, it’s very rare not to be able to have a tragus piercing because of the anatomy. The vast majority of people have a tragus big and developed enough to accommodate this type of a piercing.
While tragus piercing is not the most common ear piercing type, it’s still pretty common, and it’s not a challenge for an experienced piercer. The procedure is pretty straightforward.
This piercing is typically done with a small gauge, hollow piercing needle. It’s important to be pierced with a specialized needle and not with another instrument (such as a piercing gun).
Users may choose to be pierced with a straight or a curved needle, which means the hole itself will be either straight or curved. This may dictate the type of jewelry you can wear in your piercing.
It’s important to note that tragus piercings are nor particularly painful. This area of the ear has small number of nerve endings. This way, even beginners and those who fear pain can have a tragus piercing without a problem.
After the piercing is done, it’s important to follow the aftercare instructions and to take a good care of your new piercing during its healing time.
Jewelry worn in a tragus piercing is usually small and discreet, but still attractive and stylish. There is no specialized tragus jewelry made, so people opt for universal and multi-functional jewelry pieces.
Some of the most common jewelry types include small diameter Captive Bead Rings, studs and posts. Some people also like to wear barbells in their tragus piercings.
- While tragus piercing is usually not problematic and doesn’t tend to cause problems, some people report minor discomfort while wearing earbuds and other types of earphones. This is something to think about.
- Clean your new piercing twice per day using a saline solution. You should use a cotton ball soaked in the saline solution so you can easily clean around your piercing.
- Resist the urge to touch your new tragus piercing or to play with the jewelry. This is never a good idea for any piercing.
- Wait until the piercing is healed (at least partially) before you change your tragus jewelry.
- During the initial healing time, do what you can to avoid irritation. Don’t hold your phone on the pierced ear and avoid sleeping on that side.