Good news: if you are prone to allergies or if you have a sensitive skin, it does NOT mean you can’t wear body jewelry. The trick is just to find jewelry that will not trigger your allergies and that will be comfortable for you to wear.
Unsafe Materials and Alloys
In most of the cases, to avoid allergies, skin sensitivity and other problems, it’s important to wear jewelry made of safe materials. Safe materials are those materials that are body-friendly and medical grade. These materials will not cause allergies in most people.
It’s important to understand what causes allergies in the first place. Most of the time, what people are allergic to are various alloys present in metal jewelry. Alloys are mixtures of elements. It means that even if the jewelry is made of a main element, it may contain traces of other elements, which can prove to be dangerous for you. Alloys are often added to enhance the properties of the main element, such as to make it stronger, or softer, or to change its color. This may work, but it can also be dangerous if you are allergic to the alloy.
Avoid Nickel Allergy
By far the most common is nickel-allergy. It is very common because nickel is a very popular alloy used in many metals. Nickel is sometimes used in gold jewelry, so all gold pieces containing gold can cause a serious allergy.
For this reason, it’s important to wear only nickel-free body jewelry. Whenever you choose your jewelry piece, especially if it’s gold, make sure it’s nickel-free. This is the only way to avoid nickel allergy.
Another material to avoid is steel. It may also contain nickel. However, not all steel jewelry is created equally. Surgical Steel is a safe material. This is a medical-grade jewelry material that does not contain nickel.
However, nickel allergy is not the only problem you may encounter. Depending on your body, you may be allergic to a different alloy. This is why it’s highly recommended to check all the alloys present in a jewelry piece or to stick to hypoallergenic jewelry only.
Hypoallergenic jewelry is the one that is specially made to be safe for people who have allergies and sensitive skin. This jewelry is made of materials that are known not to cause allergies so it’s generally safe even for the more sensitive users.
However, keep in mind that “hypoallergenic” is more of a generic term used by jewelry companies. There is no strict regulation what “hypoallergenic” actually means. It may simply mean that it’s nickel-free. On the other hand, it may mean it’s made of the medical-grade materials specially made for sensitive people.
The safest body jewelry materials are those that are considered to be “hypoallergenic”. The most popular of them are:
You may also use gold jewelry, as long as it’s nickel-free.
Another good way to go is to use non-metallic jewelry pieces. Many of these materials, such as acrylic or Bioplast jewelry, is generally safe to use even by people with sensitive skin and allergies.
What about Organic Jewelry?
Another good way to go is to use organic jewelry (made of wood, stone, glass, horn or bone). If you choose to do this, however, make sure that you are not allergic to any of the organic components of your jewelry.
Organic jewelry is very beautiful and can be very effective but it can cause additional problems because it can’t be sterilized as much as metal jewelry. You need to make sure that organic jewelry is made of a material you are not allergic to. Also, it’s highly recommended to wear this type of jewelry only in fully healed piercings.