Tongue piercing is among the most common piercing types. It’s also the most common oral piercing many people like to have. If done right, it can be very effective.
Also, many people claim the procedure itself is not so complicated no painful as they expected. All these reasons make people choose this piercing type in large numbers.
Once you have a tongue piercing, the next thing to think about is tongue jewelry. A common misconception is that tongue jewelry has to be simple and boring. Nothing can be further from the truth! You can use very stylish tongue jewelry if you wish so.
Tongue Jewelry Basics
Tongue jewelry is any jewelry used for tongue piercings, regardless of placement. Appropriate tongue jewelry should take into account the nature of this piercing. Namely, tongue piercing is an oral piercing and it’s located inside a person’s mouth.
The jewelry should be smooth enough to be comfortable so it doesn’t cause problems during everyday activities. In the case of a tongue piercing, these “everyday activities” are, first and foremost, talking and eating. Your tongue jewelry has to accommodate these tasks and to make talking and eating problem-free.
Another activities you may choose to do with your pierced tongue are kissing and oral sex. Tongue piercing jewelry can help you make both of these things even more exciting and enjoyable. On the other hand, improper tongue jewelry can pose a problem or hurt your partner in the process.
For these reasons, it’s important to wear only jewelry suitable for tongue piercing. While there is no unique jewelry type made for tongue piercings only, there are several common jewelry types that are good for this type of piercing.
Common Jewelry Types
There are several jewelry types commonly used for tongue piercing. These are made to be safe, body-friendly and allow you to talk and eat normally (not to mention they are suitable for other kinds of activities you may wish to do with your tongue).
The most common jewelry types for tongue piercing include:
- Straight Barbells. Straight barbells are probably the most common jewelry type for this kind of piercing. A good barbell for a tongue piercing is the one that is completely smooth. Smooth jewelry is very comfortable to wear and it doesn’t interfere with eating, talking and other activities you wish to do with your tongue. In case you want to use straight barbells, keep in mind that they have to be made of a body-friendly material. Medical-grade jewelry works best because it’s completely safe and suitable to be used inside the body. When choosing a straight barbell for your tongue piercing, it’s best to go with 316LVM Surgical Steel or Titanium barbells.
- Decorated Barbells. Technically, these barbells are also straight barbells but we gave them their own category to show that you can use jewelry that is not completely simple and plain. However, in order for your decorated barbell to work, it still has to follow some rules. First of all, it has to be made of a body-friendly material. Another thing to keep in mind is that a decoration should not be such to harm your tongue or inside of your mouth. This is why colored barbells (such as anodized Titanium barbells) or barbells with a small gem or other decoration work better than richly ornamented jewelry pieces.
- Labrets. While labrets are typically used for lip piercings, you may wish to use them for your tongue. Labrets tend to be smaller than straight barbells so they are lighter and easier to wear. However, keep in mind that your labret still has to be long enough to accommodate your piercing. Labrets are smooth and simple in design, but they usually have a decorated top. This is a great way to have a simple yet cute jewelry piece for your tongue piercing.
- Captive Bead Rings. They are generally popular jewelry pieces, but they are used for tongue piercings sparingly. Some people find it difficult to insert CBR into their tongue piercing. On the other hand, there are many people who absolutely love them and prefer them over any other jewelry type for their tongue piercing. In case you wish to use a CBR for your tongue piercing, make sure it’s large enough to accommodate piercing.
- Special Jewelry Types. There are many special jewelry types you may wish to wear in your tongue piercing. For example, tongue retainers are great for concealing and keeping your piercing at times when you can’t wear your jewelry. French Tickler is a great addition for your jewelry and an excellent way to improve your sex life. Just place one of those tickler on your tongue piercing and your oral sex technique will instantly become amazing.