Captive Bead Rings are among the most popular jewelry styles for piercings. In fact, they are so common that they may be considered the most popular jewelry type.
Captive Bead Rings (CBRs) are very versatile so they can be used for almost any piercing imaginable. It’s therefore not surprising that they are so common.
In fact, they are so popular that many people equate them with body jewelry of any kind. Ever heard of people talking about navel rings or eyebrow rings? While many people use CBRs for navel, eyebrow and other types of piercings, there are more common jewelry styles appropriate for these piercings. However, all these jewelry styles are often known under a collective name of “rings”. This is, in large part, due to the fact that Captive Bead Rings are so popular.
Captive Bead Rings: Design
Each Captive Bead Ring has a specific design setting it apart from any other jewelry style. A captive bead ring is typically round in shape so it makes a circle. One important aspect of a Captive Bead Ring is the opening and closing mechanism – the bead itself. Each Captive Bead Ring has a small opening to fit the bead. The bead itself it pressed by the sides of the ring, thus keeping it in place and preventing the ring to be opened. Beads typically have small indentations so the end points of the ring can fit.
A captive bead ring is typically round in shape so it makes a circle. One important aspect of a Captive Bead Ring is the opening and closing mechanism – the bead itself. Each Captive Bead Ring has a small opening to fit the bead. The bead itself it pressed by the sides of the ring, thus keeping it in place and preventing the ring to be opened. Beads typically have small indentations so the end points of the ring can fit. This is a pretty standard and recognizable design.
However, this doesn’t mean that CBRs are plain or boring. While the basic design is standard, there are many ways to make a Captive Bead Ring unique and more interesting. In fact, Captive Bead Rings are very versatile and they can be used almost anywhere. There are many different rings to use so it would be incorrect to say that these rings are “ordinary”, despite their huge popularity.
One of the best things about CBRs is how the basic design can be modified and enhanced to produce jewelry of varied styles. Some of the rings are very simple, with a plain bead of the same color as the rest of the ring. Others have beautiful beads done in many different colors and patterns. Some beads include a sparkly gem. Also, some rings include additional decorations, such as charms or chains. All these additions can make for a very decorated jewelry piece that doesn’t resemble a plain-looking Captive Bead Ring.
Popularity of Captive Bead Rings
There are numerous reasons why CBRs are so popular. Here are the most important of them:
- They are practical. Captive Bead Rings are comfortable and easy to wear. While they take some level of practice to open and close, once you know how to do it they are very easy to use.
- They are reliable. Captive Bead Rings are among the most reliable body jewelry types. They are not easy to get snagged on clothing and they typically don’t pose much problem for long-term wear. It makes them a very good choice for body jewelry.
- They are versatile. CBRs can be used for almost any piercing type. Almost any piercing can accommodate a Captive Bead Ring, starting from simple earlobe piercings to some genital piercings.
- They are beautiful. As described above, CBRs can be decorated in many different ways to achieve different looks and styles. The basic design is not a limit so there are many different styles to choose from. As a jewelry type, Captive Bead Rings are very elegant, starting from the simple, plain-looking ones to the richly ornamented pieces.
- They are a classic. Simply put, a CBR is a classic jewelry piece used for so many piercings and in so many situations. It is not surprising that people always go back to this foolproof design.