D- Rings are specially designed jewelry pieces that are not just striking in looks, but also offer some advantages to the wearer. They are particularly suitable for eyebrow and nipple piercings, or whenever you need your jewelry to rest comfortably against the skin.
Rings make some of the most popular body jewelry pieces. The most popular rings are Captive Bead Rings, but more and more people move to other ring types these days. The reason? While considered classic, Captive Bead Rings offer certain disadvantages. The beads often fall out and the rings themselves are often difficult to open and close, so you need to use special ring opening and ring closing pliers.
Not to mention that Captive Bead Rings are round, which is suitable for certain piercing types, but not the others. In some cases, you want the ring to rest nicely against the skin, without moving unnecessarily.
This is where D Rings come in handy. The D Rings are specially designed to offer all the practicality of Captive Bead Rings, with some added advantages. The D Rings are ideal for many piercing types and they are known for their comfort.
What makes these rings special is that they are not round. Rather, the body of the ring is elongated so it resembles letter D. It has a straight portion and then it curves into the D shape. This gives the ring unique and eye catching design. There are many different rings and gems that can be used as the main ball or decoration for the ring, so D-Rings come in all sizes and styles.
The Advantages of D-Rings
D-Rings offer several notable advantages:
- They are comfortable. D-Rings offer a better comfort than the traditional round rings because their body lies against the skin without moving. These rings have a flat top, which keeps the ball away from your piercing. Accidental rotations are less likely to happen than with traditional rings. Many people report that D-Rings are so comfortable it almost feels like you’re not wearing any jewelry.
- They are secure. The ring is made to rest against the skin without much moving. This makes the wearer safe. Also, the ring rests lower so there’s less chance of accidental tugging or pulling the ring. This is very important if you want to use these rings for some sensitive body parts (nipples, for example).
- They are great for many piercing types. While many other jewelry types, such as barbells or Captive Bead Rings can be used for many different piercings, D-Rings are truly an example of ideal jewelry for certain piercing types. Eyebrow piercings and nipple piercings are great for this type of rings. However, it doesn’t stop there. Many people like to use D-Rings for other piercing types, such as septum piercing or even certain genital piercings.
- They are unique and beautiful. The D-Rings are simple, yet very striking. These jewelry pieces are truly special so they will draw a lot of attention to your piercing. Even the simplest ones are unique so it will never feel like you are wearing a plain jewelry piece.
- Since these rings have a straight and a curved portion of the shaft, they can be seen as something between a straight barbell and a typical body jewelry ring.
- The length of the D-Ring is typically measured along the straight part of the ring, before it starts to curve.
- Most of the D-Rings are highly polished for your comfort and security.
- D-Rings are great for new piercings because they are comfortable and they don’t allow the jewelry to rotate much. There is also less chance of accidentally pulling the jewelry.