Surgical Steel Single Dropper Curved Barbell
It’s often difficult to choose the best belly ring design or other type of jewelry for your navel piercing. With so many styles, designs and materials, it’s not easy to decide which one to buy. Even more, it’s sometimes difficult to tell which one is the right choice for you. This guide will try to answer all of the common questions about choosing and buying belly rings and other navel jewelry.
Navel rings are typically made of a curved post inserted into the piercing and stylish balls and pendants on one or both ends. There are many different jewelry types: with beads, gems, diamonds, unique pendants, and more.
There are many different ways to get a navel piercing and it will sometimes, but not always, influence the type of jewelry you should wear. The Upper Vertical navel piercing is the most common belly button piercing. The piercing is made through the upper rim of the belly button and through the interior of the navel. Another common type is the Vertical Inverse, and it’s pierced first through the navel and then through the bottom rim. With horizontal navel piercing, the piercing goes above or below the naval rim and it bypasses the actual naval cavity. Another style is to actually create two piercings.
The importance of choosing safe, quality body jewelry can’t be overlooked. There are so many different stores and products, often made of inferior or even dangerous materials. These cheap items will break, twist and even endanger your health, since they are often made of unsafe materials. It goes without saying that you shouldn’t buy your jewelry at the mall or other places not specialized in carrying body jewelry.
This part of the buyer’s guide goes without saying, but it needs to be emphasized. You should always choose quality products, and you need to know how to recognize it. That doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune on your belly ring – there are many quality products with reasonable prices. However, it’s important to know what a good, quality navel ring is when you see it.
Perhaps the most important thing to take into account when choosing a belly ring is the material. Materials are important and need to be discussed for all piercings because they will come in contact with your body so they have to be body-safe. This is non-negotiable. If you can choose your navel ring based on one and only one parameter alone, choose based on material. Seriously: it is that important. Never buy any jewelry if you are unsure about the material it’s made of and whether said material is safe for your body.
Unsafe materials can cause allergies and may lead to infections and numerous other problems. Migration and rejection are just some of the troubles you can face if using unsafe materials; you can seriously compromise your health. This is why choosing quality jewelry made of safe materials is an absolute must.
When it comes to proper materials for your belly rings, surgical steel is the most common safe material you can choose. The key word here is surgical, not stainless-steel. Stainless steel often contains various alloys that can be harmful for your body, so it should be avoided. Surgical grade steel is specially made for body use, so you can choose it for your jewelry.
Another good material to use is titanium, as well as certain synthetic materials (such as Bioplast or PTFE), specially made to be hypo-allergenic and safe for body use. Jewelry made of other materials, such as gold, can be used under certain circumstances and if you know you are not allergic to said material.
One word of warning regarding jewelry materials: when choosing a belly ring, it’s important to inspect the design and make sure that the part of the jewelry that goes under your skin or is directly touching your skin is made of a body-safe material. Your jewelry piece may contain parts made of other materials (such as different jewels or ornaments) as long as they never come in contact with your skin. This is why it’s important to carefully inspect any jewelry piece you wish to wear and determine how to wear it and which parts of it will come in contact with your skin. Never buy any jewelry piece unless you are sure about the material it’s made of.
Double Dolphin Navel Orbital
Another important aspect you need to worry about is size. Proper size is important for comfortable fitting and it minimizes the risk of migration, rejection, infections and other problems. Never buy a “cute” belly ring if it’s not available in a size you need. Speaking of which, you need to know what is the size you are pierced with (or what your current size is) so you will know which jewelry to buy. Don’t buy any jewelry unless you are 100% positive it’s the size you need. Using improperly sized jewelry can only bring problems you sure wish to avoid.
Generally speaking, a typical navel piercing is made in 14 gauge. It means that the jewelry of size 14 gauge is the one you should seek. This is by far the most popular size and there are many different and interesting styles and types of belly rings made in this size. However, it doesn’t mean other options don’t exist so it’s important to make sure that this is really the size you need. Also, some people choose to stretch their navel piercing, which means they will need jewelry of a different size.
Different Jewelry Types
There are many different navel jewelry types and designs you can use, so it’s possible to find exactly what you like. Here are some of the most common options for navel jewelry you can try.
• Captive Bead Rings. These are simple rings with a captured ball. These styles are smooth and simple so they are less likely to catch clothing. This may be an advantage during healing.
• Barbells. Another common and simple style uses a curved barbells. The balls on both ends are typically ornamented or stylish. The bottom ball is often larger and more decorated. Some barbells feature stylish and unique pendants made to hang down from either the top or the bottom ball. Pendants come in many shapes, sizes and designs: you may choose between dangling charms, animals, flowers, abstract designs, and more. These styles are very elegant and best to be used in special occasions. These pieces tend to be larger than the usual ones so they are not recommended for prolonged wear or for sleeping.
• Horseshoe. It’s a less common option for a navel ring, but many people use it. This style has a circular post which forms a horseshoe shape. This type of jewelry has balls on both ends, usually ornamented in ways similar to barbell balls.
• Twister Spiral. These are beautiful twisted barbells and they look very effective and beautiful. They are simply inserted through a belly piercing and can be secured with a screw-on ball. These are available in many different lengths to achieve different effects.
• Before choosing a belly ring for yourself, make sure you know your allergies and which type of metals you can wear. If you’re unsure, choose jewelry made of super-safe materials with no alloys.
• Simple designs with smooth balls are safest because they are less likely to catch on clothing. You should have at least one of these plain rings so you can use it during sleep.
• Don’t switch or remove navel rings before your piercing is fully healed. It can take as much as nine months, so you should be patient.
• When in doubt, go for a lightweight belly ring. Heavy rings and jewelry can irritate your skin and make it sore. If you really like a piece of jewelry that’s heavy make sure to wear it for a short time. Avoid sleeping with this type of jewelry.
• If you have an “outie” belly button you can get the so-called “true navel piercing” and have gorgeous and unique jewelry to go with it.
• You can usually change your navel jewelry about 6 months after the initial piercing. However, keep in mind that the healing time is individual so it might take more than this.
• During healing, it’s best to protect your belly ring from being snagged on clothing with an eye patch or hard plastic. Secure it over your navel to protect the piercing and jewelry.
• The most common navel jewelry is 3/8 inches long, though many different sizes exist. The length determines how long the post is. When choosing a belly ring or a barbell, it’s important not to use one that’s too small for your piercing area because otherwise it may irritate the skin and lead to infections.