There are many popular piercing types and many different jewelry styles. It’s always useful to know what kind of jewelry suits your piercing.
Generally speaking, most piercings can accommodate at least a few different jewelry styles, but it’s always useful to know what is best to wear for your piercing.
There are several basic body jewelry types. Among the most popular ones are barbells of different kinds (straight, curved and circular barbells) as well as rings (Captive Bead Rings, seamless rings, screwball rings and others).
These jewelry styles can accommodate most piercing types. Most of these can be used for many different piercing types, which makes these jewelry types multi-functional.
On the other hand, there are also specialized jewelry types. These are made for one specific jewelry type. For example, ear plugs and flesh tunnels are made for stretched earlobe piercings. Labrets are made for lip piercings. Nose screws and nose bones are made for nostril piercings, and so on.
That being said, even the most specialized jewelry types can usually be used for more than one piercing type. The trick is to know when to use which jewelry type and style. Sometimes, the choice will depend on your individual style and preferences, while it will sometimes be guided by practical reasons. Simply put, some piercings are made to accommodate some specific jewelry types and not the others.
To ensure a good fit and perfect comfort it’s worth knowing when to use which jewelry style for a particular piercing type.
Here are some general guidelines on the jewelry types to use with specific piercings:
- Ear piercings. There are many different ear piercing types, such as earlobe piercings, cartilage piercings, and many others. There are numerous earrings used for earlobe piercings, as well as special jewelry types made for stretched earlobe piercing, such as ear plugs, earlets and flesh tunnels. Ear cartilage piercings use many different jewelry types, such as barbells (for example, long straight barbells for Industrial piercing), rings or labrets.
- Nose piercings. Nostril piercings typically use specific jewelry types, such as nostril screws, nose bones, fishtails and L-bars. Also, this piercing type can use a ring. Some other nose piercings, such as septum piercings, use different jewelry types, such as rings and tusks.
- Eyebrow piercing. This piercing type usually uses a special curved barbell or a Captive Bead Ring. However, this piercing type can also use different jewelry types, such as barbells of different kinds.
- Lip piercings. A typical jewelry type for most of the lip piercings is a labret. However, some lip piercings can also use rings or even barbells.
- Tongue piercing. All tongue piercings are oral piercings, so special care has to be made to use only jewelry made of medical-grade materials and specially designed for oral use. Tongue piercing needs smooth jewelry that will not damage teeth and gums. Straight barbells make great tongue jewelry, though some people prefer to use Captive Bead Rings.
- Navel piercings. Belly button piercings usually use special curved barbells. These barbells are ideal for this piercing type. However, you may also use a typical Captive Bead Ring or another ring type.